In the city of Tarragona, Spain, castellers gather every two years to see who can build the highest, most intricate human castles. This uniquely Catalan tradition requires astonishing strength, finesse, and balance. Not to mention courage.
Mike Randolph captured a fantastic video of team work. So much of what happens during this contest is what software development teams (can and should) go through as well:
- Planning – Figuring out how to build together
- Organizing – Putting the right pieces in place (strongest guys at the bottom)
- Building and Iterating – Level by level, they build
- Speed – Speed is important, safety is most important. They build at the right (sustainable) pace
- Failure – Failure happens, but no team member takes the blame. They shake off the dust, and (I suppose) try again.
- Celebrate others – Cheers from applause comes from all sides of the arena. When one team succeeds, they all succeed
I like this video so much, I may just use it in my next Agile Workshop. 🙂