To be a successful blogger and attract more traffic to your blog, you must write about things that are interesting to your readers and that are worthy of being shared. How do you learn which things are most important to your readers? Essentially, we are looking for topics that your readers in your specialty will want to share with their friends or business colleagues.
There are several tools that can help us to learn which topics are most important to your readers. First, we are assuming that your blog is about a highly specialized set of topics. The narrower the focus the more likely you are to attract dedicated readers. We also assume that you are posting on a regular basis. Research shows that bloggers who post at least two to three times a week will build a growing and dedicated readership.
Analytic tools such as Google Analytics or Adobe Site Catalyst track the number of visitors and which key words they use to find your blog through natural search. Using your site analytics you can see the number of people who visit your site for each keyword. Go through your analytics results and choose the top 100 keyword phrases that receive the largest number of visitors. These key words will become the most popular topics that you can write about for your readers.
In case your blog is new or has few visitors you won’t have a lot of analytic data to study. The next useful tool will be social media search tools like Monitter.com. This allows to search Twitter for the most popular topics in your area. Here are more useful tools for finding popular blog topics that you can use to start writing your own blog posts.
- Twitter Advanced Search allows you to find topics or blog posts that have more retweets or to search for tweets with positive sentiment.
- Whos Talkin searches blogs, social networks, social bookmark sites or video networks like YouTube for posts related to your keyword search. This is a versatile tool that searches many sites.
- 48ers Realtime Social Search will search only Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, Digg and Delicious.
- Google Blog Search allows a keyword search that turns up blogs that cover your keyword topic.
- Bing Social Search Bing Social search can search Twitter and Facebook, which even shows the number of people who have shared a link on Facebook. This can be a useful indicator of how popular a topic may be on Facebook.
- Google Discussion Search finds discussions about your keyword topic within forums.
- Buzzzy searches Google Buzz, and lets you filter the updates by the source – Twitter, FriendFeed or Facebook.
Use these tools to learn what keyword topics may earn you the most sharing of your blog posts. Writing about the most popular topics can broaden your exposure to new readers and increase the number of readers who share your blog with their contacts in their social networks. As you write each new keyword topic blog post, make sure to use the keyword topic once in the blog headline, once in the first paragraph, in the blog tags, blog page title and blog post description. This search engine optimization will align your blog post so that search engines index your blog post for the correct keyword topic.
People want to share information with their friends. Use these research tools to make your blog posts popular and worthy of being shared. This is a powerful strategy for increasing your blog readership.