Pam Johnson works with Scripps Networks Interactive (www.foodnetwork.com, www.cookingchanneltv.com, www.hgtv.com, www.travelchannel.com) and they have been doing Agile for 3 years with 30+ development teams.
We especially like their Agile team names, including: The Rock, The Regulators, The Force, The Ninjaneers. Awesome.
Pam describes a well understood and fully functional Agile enterprise. A very good example of how Agile is done successfully in a large organization with many teams.
This was an interesting talk because Pam gives the audience a view of a very successful Agile enterprise. There were some interesting points to take away but many of the points were covered by previous speakers. The bottom line for the Scripps Network seems to be that to be successful, the development teams need to be given the ability to build out their own teams and take ownership of work. Some food for thought!
Some of the changes that the Scripps Network needs to continue to improve include:
- Better defined project initiation processes
- Improve turnaround time for obstacle clearing
- Leadership coaching within teams
- Continued efforts to move from transactional leadership to transformational leadership
- Continue to mature relationships with development teams
- Get more granular with regard to defining roles and responsibilities for project managers, team members, and functional managers
- Reduce gray space
- Keep teams excited – Team rotations
- Continued cross training – Become more generic and less heroic
Why Agile Scout likes Pam Johnson’s talk:
Pam Johnson gives several tips to increase Agile enterprise growth:
- Make sure that everyone on the team has a right to speak and be heard
- Make sure that everyone on the team is challenged and speak up
- Have a commitment to relationship building at all levels
- Have a commitment to have leadership support the developers at all levels
- Have a commitment to constant retrospectives and continued process improvements