We came upon a fantastic article recently that would appeal to gamers and Agile-fans alike. If you’re a gamer, especially a fan of World of Warcraft, then this article is a fun read.
The 7 Ways Warcraft is Like Scrum:
- Experience bars measuring progress – Just like a burndown chart.
- Multiple long and short-term goals – Breaking features and products down into user stories and functional units of work.
- Rewards for effort – Being able to see your work and stories move to the “done” column of your Scrum board.
- Rapid, frequent and clear feedback – From Scrum boards, burndown charts, demonstrations of product, Scrum allows for rapid feedback to the team.
- An element of Uncertainty – Software development is inherently uncertain. That’s what makes it exciting when your code compiles!
- Windows of enhanced attention – Sprints are timeboxed focused periods of time to complete the tasks assigned for the duration of the sprint.
- Other people – Player interaction, team interaction, business interaction.
As an ex-Warcraft enthusiast, I totally understand this. What a great analogy!